Sunday, August 8, 2010

Project 365 - Day 20

"The most insignificant insects and reptiles are of much more consequence, and have much more influence in the economy of nature than the incurious are aware of; and are mighty in their effect from their minuteness, which renders them less an object of attention; and from their numbers and fecundity." -Gilbert White



I have come to enjoy the company of bugs. They make great models for photographs because they usually sit very still, their are many varieties, and they look interesting. This bug is called a milkweed assassin bug (thanks Google!) It's fascinating to be able to see things in pictures that you never noticed before because you don't get close enough to see or you aren't able to get close enough to see. I have a new appreciation for bugs now that I learn more about then. These bugs are very beneficial to have in your garden as they prey on common garden pests. There was a time when I did not know this, nor did I take the time to learn this. I probably would have just smashed it. Now I try very my best not to kill any bugs (I'm still having issues with spiders, they are just freaky). The more I kill, the less I get to photograph.

I'm not saying that I just run out and hug bugs now, but I do think that everyone should have a better appreciation for what insects do. From this bug to a house fly. Many things bugs do our for our benefit and we don't even know. I think we could learn a thing or two from insects. After all, they've survived a lot longer than us humans.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah... Yay for insects, not so much for arachnids! lol I absolutely adore this photo, as I do all of your photos! And I do agree with what you say... insects seem less and less scary everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, okay so you and I have the same camera, and FO SHO my camera will not do the amazing things yours does. I think yours transforms while no one is looking. <3 you !!!

    ReplyDelete