Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Project 365 - Day 8

To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each others hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time. -Clara Ortega

When I was a little girl I remember wondering what it would be like if I were an only child. Because you see... I was my parent's only child for a total of 9 minutes. And truly, I wasn't even the "only" child then since I shared a womb with my sister. I have always had a sibling, since the day I came into the world, because Jessica did too, 9 minutes later. Since literally never having to live a day without a sibling, I have also never lived a day without a best friend. Even though, even back then when we were little girls, we were completely different, we still had an understanding of each other that I have yet to find with another person. Justin was born when we were 5 years old. I admit now that I feel sorry for the little fella having to deal with the two of us. We double teamed him a lot and he since he had two sisters, we didn't exactly want to play with the same toys. We are probably the reason he aggravates us to much now, just pay back for all those years.
As kids we bickered and argued a lot, usually over petty things. Okay, fine we still do that.... But I know that no matter what happens in this world these two got my back. Even though some days we are at each other's throats and we say things we don't mean, if we ever need each other, we'll be there.
There is no one that you know longer on this earth than your sibling. They are the people that you are going to know longer than anybody else. They are the ones that you grow old with. You'll always have a friend on this earth as long as you have a sibling. It's like hardwired in them to love you no matter what, and thank God it is, because I'm sure I am just about unloveable sometimes. We take for granted that they will love us all the time. We share things with our brothers and sisters that we can't share with anyone else, and that doesn't only mean our parents. Little jokes and secrets that no one else would understand will never be forgotten... just undervalued sometimes.
So now that I've grown up and I am a big girl I am glad to have had siblings. Despite all the times I wished I was an only child when I was mad, if something would have ever had happened to them I could never have been truly happy. A part of me would have been missing forever, because they are a part of my heart.

3 comments:

  1. I loved growing up with a lot of us. There was always something going on. We were never bored. Our parents probably wished we were so we would stop getting into trouble. I was going to say, you guys still bicker and fight lol its kind of funny when Jessica gets in on it though, she is a funny fighter lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, even when we bicker I will always have your back..even if I don't agree with you. You are my sister and my best all of my friends. You have been there when things weren't just easy, they got tough..through the heart breaks and skinned knees. When I couldn't love myself you stayed constant. We do take each other for granted, but I think that we should all really work on that. And you are a major part of my heart too. I LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are blessed to have each other. I will tell you jennifer, i have never in my life (53) years met a family that if you were to count 20, 30 40 people and so on, know matter how many of you guys there are you are all, loving caring generious people. I don't even understand how thats possible. The love just radiates from your family, and i am blessed to know you.

    ReplyDelete