Sunday, July 25, 2010

Project 365 - Day 6


"Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food, and medicine to the soul." - Luther Burbank

Flowers are so cool. There are so many varieties. They are Heaven for the senses. They smell good, they are beautiful to look at, their soft, silky petals feel good in your hands, and when someone gives you a flower it makes you smile. Total sensory orgasm. Flowers are an appropriate gift for every and any occasion. A red rose to say I love you, a pink carnation to say thank you, or black eyed Susans for encouragement. You give flowers at birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, birth, and death. In exchange for a cool drink of water, you get a rewarded with a glimpse of true beauty. Flowers have short lives. Soon their petals fall off and their leaves wilt. But they aren't bitter for if they are admired and have made someone smile their purpose on earth has been fulfilled.
One thing I especially love about photography is it is always fueling my passion for learning. What is this? How does it work? So when I take a picture like this and I'm not exactly sure what it is I go to work. In my research I have discovered that his little beauty is a Spiderwort Lily. The Spiderwort Lily's life is especially short. The bud opens in the dewy light of early morning and closes again at dusk, never to reopen. When I learned this, I realized how lucky I was to get to photography this rare beauty and I was happy. But now that I know when I go back out in the backyard, this flower no longer stands with its beautiful face stretched up to the sun, and I was saddened. But I know that it's purpose in it's very short life was done. I saw, I shot, I smelled, I smiled. The flower died happy and the flower lives on.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I personally don't like flowers for a gift cause I always forget about them, and then they die, and then they are no longer heaven for the senses lol, but I like your purdy picture. Oh, by the way whatever comment you wrote didn't show up my dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every shot you take is special! In that moment and that time... no one will ever take a picture like it... it may be similar, but what YOU see and feel is what makes it special.
    And I couldn't agree more about flowers; they make me smile too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowers are so beautiful. i prefer the ones i grow. that makes me feel like i have created something or saving a dying plant. no matter what you grow flowers or tomatoes it is a very fulfilling to know that i have created something that started with a little dirt and a small seed. add water and watch and enjoy

    ReplyDelete