Thursday, July 22, 2010

Project 365 - Day 3

From whence arrived the praying mantis?
From outer space, or lost Atlantis?
glimpse the grin, green metal mug
at masks the pseudo-saintly bug,
Orthopterous, also carnivorous,
And faintly whisper, Lord deliver us.
-The Praying Mantis by Odgen Nash


I'm pretty sure the first thing that everyone thinks of when they hear the words praying mantis is how the male praying mantis meets an untimely death shortly after, or maybe even during mating, and the death blow is delivered by the female. It is a story that I've heard ever since I was a child, and yes while there is some truth behind it, lets try to look at the mantis from a different angle. The praying mantis has become a symbol of patience and stillness. It can stand motionless on plants and limbs for hours waiting for its prey. It is never hasty and not impatient. It is quite content with letting his food come to him when ever it gets there. There are a lot of things that we can learn from nature. The teamwork of a pride of lions, birds flying in a triangular pattern to make the journey easier, the hard work of ants constantly building and scavenging... how do they know these things? How does the praying mantis know that his food will come as he waits and waits? Is it really as humble as it's name implies? The truth is I've learned, is that God provides for all creatures. It is God's creature and it knows nothing else. It does not worry if it's food is going to come in a timely fashion. For what good does worrying do? Worrying is always done in vain. A fact that I sometimes need to remember. I am a chronic worrier, a trait passed down from my mother, who I believe will worry her way into an early grave. I worry about things that can not be changed by worrying by the slightest increment. I am impatient and sometimes find it hard to just relax and let things unfold they way that God sees fit. The truth is, is that I am scared of the future. Excited too, yes, but scared of not knowing exactly what will happen or not happen.
So what is the mantis "praying" for? Who knows.. guess you can use your imagination. Maybe it was praying that I would take my camera out of it's face. I like to think that he is just sending up a prayer of thankfulness that a meal is soon on it's way. My lesson for today from this saintly little bug is that my needs will be provided for. Maybe not when I want or when I think I need it, but it's always delivered right on time. That I don't need to be scared of what the future holds for me. I need to be patience and let my mind be still like a praying mantis. Okay, well I considered beheading my husband like a female, but that would just cause more worrying about going to jail! Just kidding, my love. I just said that for dramatic effect. ;)

Until tomorrow....

5 comments:

  1. You so did not say that for a dramatic effect, don't you dare lie !! you have thought about beheading many a person, and Dondie was one I am sure. Especially during labor !! I know Darrell stayed far away from me both times, and it was a good thing lol I would have kicked his ass !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks alot Jennifer! Now i'm worried about my worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll just post the scripture that your post immediately brought to mind. I, too, stuggle badly with worry...your Uncle tells me "don't worry it'll be aight" I read this scripture a lot to try and bring things back into focus.

    (Matthew 6:25-34) 25 “On this account I say to YOU: Stop being anxious about YOUR souls as to what YOU will eat or what YOU will drink, or about YOUR bodies as to what YOU will wear. Does not the soul mean more than food and the body than clothing? 26 Observe intently the birds of heaven, because they do not sow seed or reap or gather into storehouses; still YOUR heavenly Father feeds them. Are YOU not worth more than they are? 27 Who of YOU by being anxious can add one cubit to his life span? 28 Also, on the matter of clothing, why are YOU anxious? Take a lesson from the lilies of the field, how they are growing; they do not toil, nor do they spin; 29 but I say to YOU that not even Sol′o‧mon in all his glory was arrayed as one of these. 30 If, now, God thus clothes the vegetation of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much rather clothe YOU, YOU with little faith? 31 So never be anxious and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or, ‘What are we to drink?’ or, ‘What are we to put on?’ 32 For all these are the things the nations are eagerly pursuing. For YOUR heavenly Father knows YOU need all these things. 33 “Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these [other] things will be added to YOU. 34 So, never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Sufficient for each day is its own badness.


    That last verse... pretty much says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your writings. i have completely enjoyed all of them. you are wise beyond your years, which will give you great satisfaction in the future. those of us that are already old say, if i knew them what i know now. my life would be different. but you see the future embrasse it and use your wisdom to make it stronger and happier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful photo, I love it! It's like you have captured him in deep thought, or praying like you said. It's amazing what you can see on an insects face, even though it's an insect.

    “The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.” --Abraham Lincoln

    ReplyDelete