Saturday, July 24, 2010

Project 365 - Day 5


"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." -Douglas Adams

The year of 2006 was the most wonderful year of my life. It has also been the most scary. This is the first time that I have sat down and put it down all in words. I find myself a nervous about putting it all out there for the world to know, because this is year has made me who I am today. So I am ultimately putting the biggest piece of me on a page for all to see. Why do it then, you say? You see, I am doing this blog for myself more than anything else. And if I am documenting all the little pieces of my life for 365 days this is something that has to be in there somewhere and considering August is right around the corner, there is no time like to present. Let me start at the beginning...
It's December 2005, the 10th day of December to be exact. This is the day that changed my life forever. The heat of the moment and the dysfunction of a piece of latex rerouted my future. The next day, I went to the Dr. and I got the" Morning After Pill" (Plan B). It is an emergency contraceptive that prevents pregnancy after a birth control failure. You can take it up to 72 hours after said failure. I was at about 48. It made me horribly sick for a day but as far as we all knew, it did what it was suppose to do. Then, on January 10th, my mother bought me a pregnancy test after waking up sick a few mornings in a row. The result was immediate and positive. My mother apparently wasn't surprised, I was crying, I thought Donald was going to faint, my Dad was pacing the room like a lion, Jessica was crying, and Justin wanted to celebrate. I can't put my feelings from that moment into words... well I could but they wouldn't be the right words. I can't convey the depth of my feelings of that time in words. I can tell you I felt terrified, and lost, and stupid, disappointed and a disappointment. I was 17 years old, not even a high school graduate, with nothing to offer a child I was going to bring into the world. I continued to go to school and I concealed my pregnancy. Only those very close to me knew my secret. It's not that I was afraid of what people would say about me, those who know me know that that has never mattered to me... I think that I hid it because I didn't want to answer questions about it. I didn't want to flaunt it and boast it because it wasn't something I was proud of. I wasn't proud to be a teenage mother. I just was another statistic.
On May 19th 2006, I walked across the stage in orange heels to receive my high school diploma in the top twenty percent of my class. The top twenty percent graduated first, then continued by all the others in alphabetical order. This is also the day that I didn't hide my now noticeable pregnant belly under a big jacket. My secret was out.
I had this big future planned. I was going to off to University of Florida. I had all these big dreams and the future was bright. My plans were changed now. In the fall when I was suppose to start college, I was going to be having a baby. My due date was September 4th (which was actually labor day that year, what a coincidence, huh?) One night out of the blue in my dining room, Donald got down on one knee and proposed. I said yes. We'd already been together for almost 4 years and we planned on getting married already, but considering the circumstances we just sped up the process. Yep, we had a shotgun wedding. The wedding was set for August 19th.
But my little one threw a wrench in our plans and he decided he wanted to be there for the wedding. On August 9th, 2oo6 at 7:16pm Elijah Adam Lowery was born. He was perfectly healthy even though he was born at 35 weeks gestation. It is a miracle I thank God for every single day of my life. The wedding was still on August 19th as planned but it sure was hectic lol.

So pretty much three of the most important experience of my entire life, of anyone's life!, happened all in the same year. And now that it's almost 4 years later and I'm not so emotionally raw, I look at things much different. Eli was meant to be on this earth exactly when he was put here. After beating two methods of birth control and coming out perfectly healthy at almost 4 weeks early, I know with no doubts that he was meant to be. He is my reason for living. He saved me from myself. Now that I get to see his smiles and hold him in my arms and hear him say, "I know I can always count on you, Mommy" I know that I couldn't imagine my life any other way. So to my Eli, I love you more than you will ever be able to imagine. Just when you think that there is no way I could love you anymore than I do now, I will love you more than that. Thank you for being the light that pulled me out of the dark. To my husband, after almost 8 years I still get butterflies in my tummy. I know that I don't tell you often enough how much I appreciate you, I hope you know how much I do and how proud I am to be yours. And to my family, I am fixing to graduate from college and I couldn't have done it without all your love and all your support. I am sorry that I have made life so different for each and everyone of you too by having to babysit almost everyday and give me a place to live so I can finish school. I am very very blessed to have you to lean on. I am sorry Mama and Daddy if I wasn't quite the daughter that you thought I would be and I didn't exactly fufill the dreams that you had for me. But.. I did the best that I could, and after all I know that is all you've ever asked me to give. I hope I did you proud.

So life hasn't been easy for me. But when things are easy, it's easy to stop growing. I have grown. I am growing. I know now that this is what I am suppose to do with my life. If one day it all flashes before my eyes, at least it will be worth watching.

4 comments:

  1. Well Jennifer i know that your family is very proud of you as am I. The odds may have felt like they were against you but actually just the opposite. Your story and your strength should be shared with teenage girls all over, because you didn't give in or up, you kept your dreams and shared them with a beautiful little boy eli, the one person that in the end gives you the most strength of all. Yes he was meant to be. You are a rare sucess story and it comes from your mama and daddy and all your family that stands behind you no matter the circumstances

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I love you and I am so proud of you. I remember where I was when I learned about wee wittle Eli, and I even remember what you were wearing when you told me, and I remember Jessica rubbing your belly, and you smacking her and telling her to shut up. I think everything happens for a reason, even if you don't understand the reason at that time. I also remember those orange shoes, they made me giggle. One thing I would like to know is how you remember dates so well. I couldn't tell you the date I found out I was pregnant or the day I graduated. I can tell you the day I was born, and even last year I wrote my birthday on the calender on the wrong day so I can't even use that as an example. I have always been secretly jealous of you. You are so beautiful, and smart and now I am jealous because you can remember things UGH stop being so dern perfect JENNIFER !! <3 you !!

    Sincerely yours,
    Your stalker !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how time flies huh? I remember thinking that it wasn't going to be easy, but that if anyone could do it--it would be you. Eli was as persistent about coming into this life as he is when he catches grasshoppas! I am so proud of you and I am so thankful to call you my cousin. I feel like you are more than that and I'm thankful for every minute! You did handle so much that year and guess what? You've knocked it out of the park!
    I love you and never forget that even when you're pitched a curve ball to keep your eye on it, and you can knock it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,
    I am glad that you finally wrote about this because by writing about it it really made you reflect on your journey to get where you are.Life is a journey, and it's not about where we are now it's about the we take journey to get there.

    The day you were born My life forever changed. I was young and didn't have a clue about life as a mother but life has a way of teaching it's own lessons. I remember looking at you the day you were born and feeling so overwhelmed with emotion and wondering, how is it that i just met her and I love her so much I would without hesitaion give my life for her?

    As you grew and developed personality i knew i would have my hands full with you.

    I saw so much of myself in you as you got older. You had a strong personality and witty sense of humor but you also had a way of internalizing things that hurt you or made you uncomfortable. You are more like me than any of my children and that alone will deal you it's share of heartache.

    Jennifer I want you to know that if I were to die today I would have no regrets about where your Journey has taken you so far and I couldn't be prouder of you. You have brought me so much joy and satisfaction. I wish I could have given you more growing up but you turned out just fine without them. You have made a wonderful wife and mother and worked hard to get this far. It has been our pleasure to help you along and push you to reach your goals. (I know i have pushed too hard at times)You have chosen a man who puts you and Eli first in his life and works hard to provide for you. And your right when you say Eli was meant to be here, he has saved us all in one way or another and I love him so.

    As you continue on your journey let me give you some more advice. Love your family more than anything and be what they need you to be you'll never regret it. Remember to have fun doing things that make you smile. And most importantly when you face what seems impossible get on your knees and know that when nobody else has an answer...He does. I love you and i'm so proud of all you have become and I'm excited to see where your Journey leads.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete