Monday, October 4, 2010

Project 365 - Day 69

"Because who can describe the look that triggers the memory of loved ones? Who can anticipate the frown, the smile, or the misplaced lock of hair that sends a swift, undeniable signal from the past? Who can ever estimate the power of association, which is always strongest in moments of love and in memories of death?" -John Irving

I smiled when I saw this flower at my mother in law's house. This flower made me think of my cousin, Fallon. It was from her that I learn what this interesting flower was called. It's called a Maypop. There flowers grow close to her house....she has many pictures of Maypops.

It's it crazy how something like that, something seemingly random, can trigger a memory. My sister law and I were just talking about this very subject this past weekend. As we were driving, she smelled a bonfire. She said it reminded her of a time in her life when she was young and every time she smelled fire, that is what she thought of. It made me think of all the things that trigger my own memory...

The moon will always make me think of cool nights fox-hunting. Riding on the dog box in the pitch black with my cousins ...singing, lauging, living. It reminds me of the sound of puppies trailing for the first time.

The smell of fire doesn't make me think of marshmallows or hotdogs, but sausage.

Coffee thermoses, sharp pocket knives, and butterflies make me think of my grandpa.

Trampolines make me think of my Aunt Faye's house, where we'd all go after we got off the school bus.

Diet coke makes me think of me watching Little House on the Prairie at my Aunt Lavan's house in the summer.

Thanksgiving makes me think of Indians and plays, not turkey or pilgrims.

Not the changing of the leaves or pumpkins make me think Fall, but the smell of a cinnamon broom.

And parks don't make me think of my son, but my husband.

I'm sure that these aren't all the things. But that is the beauty of it... it lays dormant and then manifests when triggered by a smell or a feeling. Then you remember, and you can live a little part of your life again.

1 comment:

  1. I love this flower!
    It is funny how smells can trigger a memory... Whenever I smell pina colada scented shampoo I think of my bull Gus... lol I used to wash him with it and there isn't a time I smell it without thinking back!

    ReplyDelete