Sunday, October 3, 2010

Project 365 - Day 68

"What do you say in a moment like this? When you can't the words, to tell it like it is. Just close your eyes and let your heart lead the way. Oh, what do you say?" -Reba McIntire

Motherhood is hard. But today I learned that diaper changes, sleepless nights, and even potty training, were a walk in the park.

From a request from my grandmother, we visited my grandfather's grave today. My grandmother got him some new flowers for the top and she wanted some pictures. I had no idea when I happily agreed what I was getting myself into.

Eli is four years old and full of questions. Why? When? Where? Why? Why? Why? Today at the grave site, he asked questions I couldn't answer. How do you explain death and dying and the afterlife to a four year old? How could I look in to those tear filled eyes and tell him the right answer when he asked me why he can't talk to his grandpa anymore? When he asked my why he had to die. And when he told me that he misses him, as fat tears rolled down his cheeks. What is a good enough answer?



Because I think I failed miserably.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer this was beautiful.And no you didn't fail miserably you didn't fail at all.I make you this promise this want be the last time you don't have answers for you children sometimes there is no answers.I have adult children and I don't always have the answers for them when they need them. You stay proud of who you are and of what you have accomplished you will never be able to fill in all the blanks. I love ya. Uncle Edward

    ReplyDelete
  2. my wonderful wife you are a child of god and god never fails there for you never fail i think you anwsered his questions the best way you could and as parents there are no booklets or a haynes repair manual you have to like Reba said let your heart lead the way and if you do that with god in your heart you cannot fail because god never fails he is always right on time with the best answers love your very greatful dondie

    ReplyDelete